The Motherland beckons.

This year in 2019, the President of Ghana Nana Akufo-Addo designated it as the Year of Return. This is to mark 400 years since the Africans arrived at Jamestown, Virginia in the USA as slaves. Ghana is calling on the African Americans descended from the West African country as well as other parts of the Ghanaian diaspora to consider relocating to their homeland. This invitation has been extended to all Africans and their descendants in general. The government has launched a campaign for this purpose and has organised a series of events.

This year I have been faced with the question, "Would you consider relocating to Ghana?". Every time I visited the country I didn't want to leave. Ghana to me is my second home. Despite it being a developing country, the atmosphere is lovely. The hot weather is like a much needed balm to me and the scenery is very pleasant. The people are friendly and welcoming. I love it there. Would I move there? Not yet is my answer.

Although the economy is improving in Ghana I am not ready to move to Ghana in order to work there. My plan is to continue working in the UK until I retire and then settle in Ghana. I plan to send money in order to build a house over there so that I can live there in my old age. To me Ghana is a nice place to retire. In 2008 after my parents retired they left the UK for Ghana for good and they have since not regretted their decision.

Due to Brexit, the future of the UK is uncertain. A lot of questions have arisen. Will the UK still exist as Scotland and Northern Ireland are considering breaking away? Will Britain be worse off outside the European Union? Would there be shortages of food and medical supplies? Would the UK end up in a much bigger debt than before? What will happen to it in ten years time? I am thinking that maybe it is time to reconsider about staying in the UK but I plan to have my children here.

I recently watched a documentary by Pamela Sakyi called Back to the Motherland.  Pamela, as a British Ghanaian discusses her African roots and is seriously considering relocating to Ghana. She talks to other British Ghanaians, some of whom are successful entrepreneurs, that also want to move to the African country. They show their enthusiasm for their homeland. What struck me is that they are concerned about Ghana and wish to make the country more prosperous and some are willing to either invest in it or make a difference some other way.

As my parents are getting old I feel I have to visit them regularly. This has made me consider to apply for a Ghanaian passport as it would save me from having to apply for a visa on several occasions and it would save me money. Please note that the application would require you to obtain a letter of invitation. To me it would be one step closer to Ghanaian citizenship which will make it easier to emigrate to Ghana later on in life. Also the fact that my partner is from Ghana and she wants to move back there when she retires has also swayed my decision. It is recommended that I take time off and spend a long period in Ghana in order to acclimatise.

I would eventually like to move to Ghana and live there but only when I receive my pension as it can go a long way there. It would be nice to spend my days as an old man in the sun and live the simple life. To relax and not have a care in the world. I may be born in the UK but deep down I'm a Ghanaian.

If like me you are considering relocating to Ghana then please read this useful blog from Misbeee which contains very helpful advice.

https://msbwrites.co.uk/2019/05/16/my-tips-on-a-stress-free-relocation-to-the-motherland/#more-1915



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming challenges.

Show review: Stomp.

Life reflection.