Half Marathon, done!

Last year, my eldest sister's husband decided to run a half marathon in London known as the London Landmarks Half Marathon. This was a race which took runners on a tour around London, passing various landmarks such as Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral and the Monument. The run was a success. As for me I did cross-country running during secondary school. Next I ran, goodness knows how many miles, during my eight-month stay in France. Then I ran 5K for the London Borough of Lambeth, not once, not twice but three times. My average finishing time was about 26 minutes. Now I would think that I would move on to 10K before attempting a half marathon but fate had other ideas.

My sister's husband decided to do one better and run the London Marathon. My first thought was either he was very brave or very mad. I then thought, "Well good on him!" I even went to my sister's place to cheer him on with his family. He successfully completed the London Marathon and I was so proud of him. That would have been the end of it but then my younger sister's husband thought that it would be a good idea for him, my eldest sister's hubby and yours truly to run the Southend Half Marathon the following year. Never mind the fact that I had not yet run the 10K race, but then who am I to step down from a challenge? This February, I signed up for the half marathon. I thought that Southend provided a flat and even surface to run on and it would be an easy race for beginners. Plus the fact that the scenery in Southend is great. The road would be closed to traffic on the day but only for 3 hours.

Did I honestly think that I would get away without training for the half marathon? I'm not that foolish. The training was hellish to say the least. It was evident that I had not run for ages. When I did my first 5K as a practice, fatigue set in before I could finish so I ended up walking part of the way. The second time was better and I managed to run all the way. I started to enjoy my training until one day I sprained both my ankles and was not able to run properly. The pain went after several weeks after I nursed my ankles using the RICE method (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate). I then started to increase my distance to 6K, 7K, 10K and then 14K. All went well. The only thing I didn't like was having to run the 14K in the pouring rain. I attempted the 16K but then the pain in my pelvic area set in and I had to stop after 9K. The training was all the tougher due to the Medway towns being a hilly area so I was forced to run on uneven surfaces. I was seriously considering pulling out but when I heard that my eldest sister's youngest daughter ran the London Landmarks Half Marathon I was inspired to go on. Like father, like daughter.

I did the warming up exercises before running and the cooling down exercises afterwards which helped prevent further injury. However, I was still aching after each practice run. I then attempted the 18K which turned out well. I noticed that a few months of training had paid off. The Friday before the race I decided to redeem myself and run the 16K that I failed to finish and it was a nice, successful run this time round. That got me in the mood for Sunday's race. However, I was the last one standing as it transpired that I alone had registered for it.

Sunday finally came and I was staying at my sister's house in Southend the night before. I got up early in the morning and helped myself to oats porridge, toasted egg sandwiches and banana. I was raring to go. As soon as I arrived at Shoeburyness a lot of people were already at East Beach Park. I picked up my t-shirt, put on my race number and started my warm-up exercises. Over 2700 people were taking part in the half-marathon. When it was nearly 9am, I made my way near the starting line. Based on my training, it was probable that I would finish the race in 2 hours 30 minutes so I waited at the relevant starting point. The wheelchair racers had already started. At 9am the fastest group of runners started. It eventually got to my turn and then I set off.

The route took me to the seafront at Shoeburyness. We then ran along the esplanade towards the Southend side. I saw some people walking halfway through the esplanade and there were some water stations but I did not yet need water. I spoke to my sister and, based on my calculations, I advised her to make her way to Ocean Beach at 10.40 am. I headed for the Sealife Adventure centre and ran back along the seafront to the Shoeburyness side. Whilst circumnavigating the esplanade for the second time, I saw my sister at 10.40am and she cheered me on. I headed for the Sealife Adventure centre again and turned round to head back to Shoeburyness. I saw my sister again when I passed Ocean Beach for the final time and waved at her. I started to sweat so I decided to have a drink of water. I ended up having three cups along the way. Despite that, I still had enough energy to keep on running. 

I turned left onto a hilly area which was not bad. However, when I reached the final mile, fatigue set in. I walked part of the way towards the end but started running when the finish line appeared in sight. When I crossed it I was offered a bottle of water before being handed a medal. I had my photo taken before I sat on the ground to rest. 

I really enjoyed my first half marathon as I really like Southend and it was a pleasure to run there. I am also raising money for Havens Hospices in Essex. I was pleased that I was able to run the full 12 miles without walking, which was progress. I beat my expected time and finished at 2 hours 23 minutes which was not bad for the first time. London Landmarks Half Marathon, bring it on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming challenges.

Life reflection.

Show review: Stomp.