Overcoming challenges.

My father likes to tell stories about our past just like most people. One of them told of when I was a toddler. I was faced with one of the biggest challenges in my life then. My thirteen-month-old self travelled to Ghana. When I returned to Britain I lost the ability to speak. I had language difficulties. I was unable to express myself and as a result I felt withdrawn. My dad took me to a doctor who had little faith in me. He said that I might never speak again. My dad wasn't having any of it and taught me how to read. I then began to read aloud and mastered the ability to speak again with the help of my dad and my speech therapist. Moreover I can understand two more languages apart from English.

We all face challenges throughout our lives. In school, in university, at home, at work and during our travels. Married people face challenges, as do parents and everyone else. Challenges make our lives more interesting and give them a purpose. They also make us much stronger people. It is when we overcome the obstacles in life that we feel a sense of achievement which is satisfying. I am currently reading a book about a woman who is struggling to recover from her amnesia. It is fascinating reading about the many trials she faces and her steps in remembering several aspects of her life again. Anyone can overcome their challenges if they put their mind to it. I am always faced with challenges but with God's help and my perseverance I will prevail over them.

Comments

  1. fantastic first blog. love it Kitdan.

    Can you tell us what made you lose your ability to talk - do you know?

    And what are the other two languages apart from English that you can speak?

    I read a similar book about a woman who had amnesia - it was a kind of thriller....she had a short term memory acutally which would leave her by the end of the day - is that the same book you are reading.

    Can]t wait to read more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MisBeee. I am not sure what caused me to lose my ability to speak. I think it is the confusion brought on by going from one country to another with a completely different language and culture.

      The two other languages I know are Twi and French.

      Yes. That is exactly the same book. I am enjoying it at the moment.

      Your blogs are great by the way.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog too Kitdan :-) and great to meet another HR professional who is Ghanaian. What was the book you read? looking forward to reading more too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer. The book is Before I go to Sleep by SJ Watson. I finished reading it earlier this week and I thoroughly recommend it. I enjoy reading your blogs too. It is good to know there are some things that we have in common.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life reflection.

Show review: Stomp.