Show review: Stomp.

For my birthday I decided to treat myself. I bought a ticket for a show that I have been wanting to see for a very long time. Yes, you guessed it, that show is Stomp. I finally saw it and it did not disappoint.

In case you are wondering what Stomp is about, it features percussionists who use various makeshift instruments out of ordinary objects to perform and thus entertain the audience. I like drums and am a fan of percussion. When I was little I used to beatbox a lot. My fondness for the percussive sound explains my love of garage music.

The show began with a lone sweeper who acted like he was cleaning the stage and then, as if he was bored, started to perform with his brush. He was then joined by several other "sweepers" who proceeded to entertain us all. They then used other "instruments" such as pots and pans, lighters, sinks, shopping trolleys, massive lids, newspapers, rubbish and even their own bodies.

What I didn't expect from the show was a bit of comedy. I found myself laughing due to some slapstick and some body language from the performers. It made Stomp very interesting and kept the audience engaged. There was also audience participation when one of the performers did a clapping sequence and we were invited to copy him. I laughed at his frustration when the audience failed to copy him perfectly.

Now for a bit of background. Stomp was created in 1991 by Luke Cresswell and Steve McNicholas in the United Kingdom. Cresswell and McNicholas produced and directed the show which premiered at the Assembly Rooms in Edinburgh. It originally featured seven performers, including Cresswell himself. However one person joined them and they started performing to audiences around the world. It has since won several awards and the show has featured in various commercials, the Academy Awards and even the closing ceremony in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.

I thought that Stomp was brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and I was moving my body to the rhythmic beats that were coming out of various everyday objects. I did not want the show to end. It was that good! My favourite part of the show was when everyone was using pots and pans as drums. Some of the performers climbed up to the top platform and the stage was adorned with colourful lighting. There were many parts of the show that I liked. Stomp is one performance that I would definitely not mind seeing again.

Comments

  1. Has this revived your desire to start beat boxing again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your writing style. Always engaging. Thanks Kitdan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. My beatboxing days are over. I prefer to listen to other people beatboxing now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming challenges.

Life reflection.